• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Switching to Lightroom from Adobe Store to Apple Store....worth doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebore

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Now that Lightroom is available from the Apple Store is there any reason to switch from Adobe store to Apple Store?

The price is the same so the considerations are probably around updates?

Presumably updates will come from the Apple store, so maybe no need to have the always running Creative Cloud app?

Thanks

I'm guessing here, but I think Lightroom's availability in the Apple store is not different from Purchasing thru Brick & Mortar places like B&H. You will still need to install and run resident Adobe's application Manager And it will be through the Adobe Application Manager that you will get your updates

I'm guessing here, but I think Lightroom's availability in the Apple store is not different from Purchasing thru Brick & Mortar places like B&H. You will still need to install and run resident Adobe's application Manager And it will be through the Adobe Application Manager that you will get your updates

Yes that is the key question! Most apps available from both the Mac App Store and the Developer are updated separately (Apple Store usually later), so I think Lightroom would be an exception, but maybe not unique.

The other question is that apps from the App Store can be used on five devices, but the Adobe limit is two simultaneously (but installed on more).

The other question is that apps from the App Store can be used on five devices, but the Adobe limit is two simultaneously (but installed on more).
The Lightroom Cloudy + 1TB plan - the equivalent of the Mac App Store version - can also be activated on 5 computers. It was a change made in December that slipped under the radar. It's an exception specific to the LRCloudy plan, so doesn't apply to the "normal" Photography Plan.

The Lightroom Cloudy + 1TB plan - the equivalent of the Mac App Store version - can also be activated on 5 computers. It was a change made in December that slipped under the radar. It's an exception specific to the LRCloudy plan, so doesn't apply to the "normal" Photography Plan.

Thanks Victoria ! Presumably done because of the upcoming availability on the Apple Store.

The change to five adds a new dimension. I asked here recently about licensing three computers. This is probably enough to make me switch from the1TB Photography Plan to the Lightroom Cloudy plan. But as the third computer would be Windows I would have to stay with Adobe.

I wonder if it will have a knock on effect and the Photography plan will silently become five .

I wonder if it will have a knock on effect and the Photography plan will silently become five .
I doubt it somehow. The LR Cloudy plan is an exception because it's limited to a single user (or at least family) by virtue of the single cloud storage.

I doubt it somehow. The LR Cloudy plan is an exception because it's limited to a single user (or at least family) by virtue of the single cloud storage.

Thanks again Victoria. Can you confirm that if I switch from Photography to Cloudy I will still be able import to Classic but not edit (and probably other things). Can I organise? Ie create new folders and move photos around?

Last year I started on the 20GB Photography, then went 1TB Cloudy, then 1TB Photography. As far as I remember I did the changes all on line by signing into the store, cancelling my existing plan, and buying a new one. Then signing out of Lightroom and back in. There was no conversion path, just cancel and puchase new. Will it be the same if I downgrade from Photography to Cloudy?

Thanks

Yes, Develop, Map and Sync stop working in Classic, but the rest would still work.

I would assume the process would be the same, but I haven't been able to test it. Customer services could confirm that for you though. If you ever want to add Photoshop to your Cloudy1TB plan, just keep the Cloudy 1TB and add a Photography 20GB to get the 5 Cloudy seats plus 1TB plus 2 Photoshop ones. The detail I haven't figured out yet is how you'd determine which 2 computers you wanted to use PS on...

Yes, Develop, Map and Sync stop working in Classic, but the rest would still work.

I would assume the process would be the same, but I haven't been able to test it. Customer services could confirm that for you though. If you ever want to add Photoshop to your Cloudy1TB plan, just keep the Cloudy 1TB and add a Photography 20GB to get the 5 Cloudy seats plus 1TB plus 2 Photoshop ones. The detail I haven't figured out yet is how you'd determine which 2 computers you wanted to use PS on...

Thanks very much again!

That sounds like you can have two plans on the same Adobe ID....is that really possible?

If so, then certainly a 1TB Cloudy Plan (five seats), plus a 20GB Photography Plan (two seats) would be a better way of spending £20 pm than a single 1TB Photography Plan (two seats).

I would imagine that if you tried to use Photoshop or Lightroom Classic on more than two computers you would simply be asked which you wanted to deactivate, like happens now.

That sounds like you can have two plans on the same Adobe ID....is that really possible?
It is, yes.
I've sent a message to a manager to see if knows how to handle the 2 vs 5 seats on the same plan, so I'll let you know when I find out more.

UPDATE.

I have now switched plans from 1TB Photography to 1TB Cloudy. Unlike when I last changed plan, there is now a switch plan option, it wasn't a cancel and re-purchase. This was extremely painless, quick and easy, even though it was a downgrade. And I will get a small refund. This may have been easy because my first year on the 1TB Photography Plan expires next month. Might not have been so easy mid year?

I have signed out and in again on my two macs and activated successfully on the third (windows) computer. Adobe CC app shows what it should and Lightroom works on all three computers.

I have confirmed that the limited functionality of Classic does what I need. A notice that the license has expired appears on every launch of Classic and has to be dismissed.

I have not at this stage proceeded with adding a 20GB Photography Plan because I need to think whether the limited use I make of Photoshop is really worth £10 pm to me.

So, I am well pleased the morning's work and the help received here! Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back