• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module LR 5.3 gets slower and slower the more I use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwood

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Laptop spec:
i7-8550U CPU @1.8GHZ
16GB RAM
2 x SSD (both >50% free space)
Windows 10
No other software running

Catalog size: 200GB, about 10k images (mix of DNG and JPG)
Full size JPEG preview has been built
Images on the first SSD
Camera raw cache set to 40GB on the second SSD

On the develop module, I started editing photos in one folder (about 3k images), but after about 20min the program gets extremely slow that:
- can no longer sync develop settings for more than 5 images (clicking sync button does nothing)
- takes 5-10 sec to move to the next image
- program only using 4gb of RAM, when there are much more available for use

The only solution is to restart LR, and everything back to normal:
- able to sync develop settings
- takes < 2 sec to move to the next image

Any settings I might be missing? I believe the laptop spec should be more than sufficient to run this old program.

The last release of LR5 is LR5.7.1. It will have all of the bug fixes and performance enhances prior ro raw release of LR6.x. You should start with this update. The problem that you describe sounds like a memory leak. Memory keeps being requested but not released when the app is through with it. There may be memory leaks in LR5.3. There is no guarantee that LR5.7.1 will correct that issue.
The last perpetual license version of Lightroom that you can purchase is LR6 and you will want to get LR6.14 for the last bug fixes there. A lot of performance enhancements went into LR6. Adobe is no longer selling LR6 but some 3rd party retailers do have the license for purchase.
Your version of LR is about 6 years old and was not designed to run on Windows 10. Eventually, Windows will be upgrades to the point where LR5 will not run at all. I think it it time to upgrade to a LR version that is not so obsolete. The correct answer is a LR subscription for ~$10/mo. The subscription version will be constantly update with the latest performance fixes and bug fixes.
In internet age, your copy of LR is positively antediluvian.

I have a lot of hand made presets, and I notice the newer LR uses a different preset format, I dont want to risk losing all my old presets.

In terms of performance, what type of response time can I expect, on the subscription version LR? Does it do all the processing on the server side and I need to have a good internet connection?

Lightroom Classic (v 8.3.1) is the successor to your LR5. You won't lose ant presets though they may get converted to the new format when you upgrade. The LR5 catalog file structure is different from the current catalog file structure. An upgrade will create a new structure catalog from the contents of your old LR5catalog. Nothing is lost in the process.
Lightroom Classic uses the internet to sync designated collections to the Lightroom Mobile on mobile devices Lightroom on the Web. There is also a separate internet based product that can be installed on the PC or a laptop. You can use it to. Access the cloud copies just like Lightroom on any mobile device.

Adobe has worked very hard at tuning performance and taking advantage of features in modern operating systems and hardware. You should see an improvement and your computer won't bog down because of Lightroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back