• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Crop, save & Export

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMac9090

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. Android
Not sure if this is the right forum or not.

I am digitizing old photos. Batches are being scanned in with an average of 5 - 6 photos of different sizes per scan (Epson scanner). I then duplicated each image using Windows to create 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 copies as appropriate, imported in to Lightroom Classic then synced with LR Web.

Here is a screen grab of one sub-folder (in Explorer) before I start editing in Lightroom.

lr1.jpg

I then switched to my tablet (Android) and cropped each image in turn and let the image sync back to Classic.

I was then able to Export each image (adding each image & folder back into the catalogue) to create a cropped version, when I can then delete the original multi image scans, and proceed to other edits, tags, keywords etc, with the smaller sized image (quite important when thousands are involved).

My query however is about the synced back version that still exists in LR Classic before I delete them. I understand that LR is non destructive and that I would need to Export the cropped image to see a truly cropped version (although I made the mistake of using "original" as the "Image Format" in which I assumed original applied to the format as it said, and not the original file - however LR simply exported a full set of the multi-scanned images. So I had to change the format to jpg to force it to export the cropped file.)

What I do not understand though is how LR is dealing with these original scanned images. Once all images were cropped on LR Web, and synced back to LR Classic, they showed perfectly cropped and rotated as expected in the Library module. I did wonder initially if saving these edits would be sufficient to commit the crop as they were jpegs, so I did CTRL+S with all of them. It appears however that only (of the edits I made) rotations were saved and that crops were not but ……........

lr2.jpg

The above is a screen grab of one of the directories after the save. As you will see, some images have saved cropped. Some have saved rotated (they were all portrait initially) while others remain as scanned ie true non-destructive editing.

I cannot see any pattern that would explain why a photo should appear in one format or another. Surely (rotations excepted,) I would have expected all images to be originals, or all to be cropped.

Can anyone shed a light on this?

Many thanks, and I hope this made sense.

Lightroom is a non-destructive editor. Cropping is applied as an overlay, the original image remains untouched. Using ctrl-s does not save the cropped image, it saves the edits to the metadata of the original image. Most other applications cannot read those, and so they will show the untouched original.

Export does save a new image with the edits applied to it.

I then duplicated each image using Windows to create 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 copies as appropriate, imported in to Lightroom Classic
My approach to your project would be-
1) Scan the composites
2) Import the composites to Lightroom
3) Create VIRTUAL COPIES for each composite. eg. A page of 4 images- create 4 Virtual copies
4) Crop and Rotate each Virtual copy to show ONE single image from the composite. And edit as needed.
5) Filter to show only VCs
6) Export all the VCs
You have now created new photos of every individual photo without having to create all those multiple copies of the original scan. You have the one 'original' scan and the exported individual photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back