• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Has the Photography Plan changed? Did Classic just double in price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linwood Ferguson

Linwood Ferguson
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I was looking up something for someone, and found I can no longer find the (US) $10/mo photography plan to includes Classic.

When I look at the "all plans" I see a "Lightroom CC Plan (1TB)" that is $10/mo with only CC, or a photography plan that includes CC + Classic and 1TB; there used to be a small-storage version of that for $10.

Is it no longer available?

Did my price for Classic just double?

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Victoria:
I get you are telling me not to spread rumors and I am ok with that. i will not talk about it anymore. I think Adobe made a huge mistake in doing this kind of testing in this manner.. I belong to a very large photography club in the San Francisco Bay Area and we are always telling new members to join the plan for
$9.99 per month. These new people are going to the site and are NOT seeing the $9.99 option.

I do understand that we have had a really good deal for $9.99 per month for quite a long time and that at some point there will have to be an increase.
Hoping that the increase will be more like a $2.00 increase rather than 100%. Many of us do not want more storage space at Adobe for the simple fact that we do not want to be held hostage by Adobe to be able to get to our images. The fact that we would get more storage for more money is NOT intriguing to many photographers.

By the number of people talking about this price change even if it is a test, most people don't know that, it has shown that Adobe is not going in the right direction in choosing this testing method.

Many of us do not want more storage space at Adobe for the simple fact that we do not want to be held hostage by Adobe to be able to get to our images.
I see that sort of comment quite often, and it always strikes me as strange given the tools that Adobe provides for those wanting to exit their subscription. The only thing that could be improved would be to provide a Tif export option, but hopefully that'll turn up eventually.
But other than that, I see little difference between LRCC and any other non-destructive editor, be that Classic or On1 or Capture1.

Me too!!!
In any case, there are other market research approaches to get at this issue, such as large-scale surveys, focus groups, and just down-and-dirty competitive analysis. That all said, the hardest, and I mean the hardest part of product management, is pricing. (I'm assuming here that the product managers or product marketing managers at Adobe have input to this decision. In many companies, pricing is very political.)

The mass confusion and anger generated by this approach should have led Adobe to stop this experiment by now. Of course, that assumes that Adobe is actually watching market reaction outside of just the number of times someone purchases a $20/month plan. I may be giving them too much credit here.

Phil Burton

But, doesn't it?
Yes, Roelof, of course LR Classic can export to Tiff, but we're talking about LRCC which currently only exports as Jpeg or Original.

The mass confusion and anger generated by this approach should have led Adobe to stop this experiment by now.
They already did. But yeah, it should never have happened in the first place.

One of the interesting things about this test is it did highlight a $9.99 per month Lightroom + 1 TB Cloud plan. I see a lot of photographers that never use Photoshop, and many of these photographers lack appropriate storage and backups. The LR+ 1TB plan is a good solution for those that are not using Photoshop anyway. And they can always download and test Photoshop in the future if they need to explore that option.

Like most of you, I've seen a lot of people concerned by this test and it gives many people a bad taste in their mouth about Adobe. This little experiment is a pretty expensive way to test when you look at the impact of ill will and lost customers.

One of the interesting things about this test is it did highlight a $9.99 per month Lightroom + 1 TB Cloud plan. I see a lot of photographers that never use Photoshop, and many of these photographers lack appropriate storage and backups. The LR+ 1TB plan is a good solution for those that are not using Photoshop anyway. And they can always download and test Photoshop in the future if they need to explore that option.

Like most of you, I've seen a lot of people concerned by this test and it gives many people a bad taste in their mouth about Adobe. This little experiment is a pretty expensive way to test when you look at the impact of ill will and lost customers.

I am likely part of the target demographic, a hobby photographer.

The problem is the 1TB 9.99 plan does not include Classic. As such,, myself and many others are unable to use. There are multiple missing features I use on a regular basis. I also never use Photoshop, in fact it is not installed anymore (I installed it at one point to look at it, never opened it again).

As in the subject I read somewhere on the internet (as one does) that Adobe was trialling a doubling of the subscription cost for LR and PS.
Has any one any wareness of this trial?

This little experiment is a pretty expensive way to test when you look at the impact of ill will and lost customers.
do we know how many subscribers they acquired at the new price point?
it may not have been the business “disaster” we hoped it was.

One of the interesting things about this test is it did highlight a $9.99 per month Lightroom + 1 TB Cloud plan. I see a lot of photographers that never use Photoshop, and many of these photographers lack appropriate storage and backups. The LR+ 1TB plan is a good solution for those that are not using Photoshop anyway.
Just to clarify, that's the cloud service Lightroom app, not Lightroom Classic. There's still plenty of confusion surrounding the names.

Yes here is where I see confusion and I think Adobe dropped the ball - or did they? :sneaky: They left CC out of it so unless you are well versed with the terms then you could think Lightroom is the older version. New customers might not even know the difference and that would be beneficial.

Why do Adobe charge so much for online storage? Backblaze is far cheaper so I would hate to be "forced" to pay for 1Tb that I don't need. Double the price of the Photographers Plan and loose 50% of your customers? madness.

They left CC out of it so unless you are well versed with the terms then you could think Lightroom is the older version.
That's not a LR specific change. Go look at the list of apps on the website and you'll see that CC's are going AWOL everywhere.

Yep, great article.

Just to clarify, that's the cloud service Lightroom app, not Lightroom Classic. There's still plenty of confusion surrounding the names.

Between the pricing debacle, and the naming issues, is Adobe senior management aware of the headaches they are causing themselves by keeping the same brilliant marketing team in place?

I liked this article also. A lot of the anger was caused by the confusion this pricing experiment has caused. it's consistent with the confusion Adobe created when the announced LR 7 and the new cloud-based product.
Adobe seems to have a knack for mismanaging user expectations

Why do Adobe charge so much for online storage? Backblaze is far cheaper so I would hate to be "forced" to pay for 1Tb that I don't need. Double the price of the Photographers Plan and loose 50% of your customers? madness.

Adobe is not positioning their storage is just cloud storage, but as part of a photographic system including synchronization across devices, and (though I think more in hazy vague promises than commitments) functionality built into the cloud specific to photos using AI such as automated categorization. And for that they (a) require it be THEIR storage, and (b) charge more.

Whether they can make this work out, whether they can actually communicate a value proposition to people for it or not, remains to be seen.

Adobe seems to have a knack for mismanaging user expectations

I am completely aware that price testing is done in many markets. I used to be involved in magazines for example, and frequently parts of the country would get a different price for the same magazine at retail, to see how (if) it impacted sales. Price sensitivity testing. it's perfectly legal, unfortunately.

But somehow doing it on a web site that the entire country sees, where you just seem to randomly get different prices, seems (but probably is legally not) different. It feels more slimy, less ethical. That they have been doing it off and on since this thread started shows they clearly have not learned how badly people react. Or they do not care.

I am completely aware that price testing is done in many markets. I used to be involved in magazines for example, and frequently parts of the country would get a different price for the same magazine at retail, to see how (if) it impacted sales. Price sensitivity testing. it's perfectly legal, unfortunately.

But somehow doing it on a web site that the entire country sees, where you just seem to randomly get different prices, seems (but probably is legally not) different. It feels more slimy, less ethical. That they have been doing it off and on since this thread started shows they clearly have not learned how badly people react. Or they do not care.

Actually if Adobe has a technically competent team the testing is constrained by Geo-referencing the IP address. This is actually pretty easy to implement. I have actually done it for for performance reasons.

Actually if Adobe has a technically competent team the testing is constrained by Geo-referencing the IP address. This is actually pretty easy to implement. I have actually done it for for performance reasons.
I haven't tried this time, but when I first noticed this I would get it sometimes and not others. Unless Adobe was putting it up and removing it, then they failed to constrain this adequately. It's also worth noting with the large and growing use of vpn's for users' privacy (and theft and other reasons) a lot of people may still see it even if they got their filtering right.

Regardless, Adobe knows how much background discussion occurs among LR users, and about forums like this. It's one thing to have a different price on a bottle of Clorox in LA vs Phoenix, but do they really think within a few hours it will not make the news world wide that they have new (and various) pricing up?

Actually the connected nature of forums, for stuff outside of technical realms is rather recent. Think about it, Adobe is more than 30 years old. Forums, pricing knowledge, connected users is really less than 5 years for a majority of users.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back