• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR Changed the name of my external HD to Macintosh HD??

Status
Not open for further replies.

First Due

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 6.12
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I edit off external HDs 99% of the time, and if they are saved on the computer HD, those folders are later dragged to the HD and 'found'.

All my external HDs (any year) are listed in the "folders" tab.

Somehow just now may "2018" HD got renamed to Macintosh HD (same as the computer's HD). There are now 2 Macintosh HDs listed, one shows the computer's folders and the other shows all the folders from my 2018 external HD. Obviously my photos come up with the magic question mark. I've rebooted etc. The 2018 HD shows in Finder as 2018.

No clue what happened how, and I don't want to touch anything until I find out what's going on.

A couple of screenshots would probably help: the Folders Panel in LR showing the drives and the affected folders, and a couple of Finder screenshots, one of the drives listing and one of the affected folders.

Lightroom can’t rename a disk, and if it could, then you would not see question marks of missing folders, because the images would still be where Lightroom thinks they should be. Something else must be going on, so screenshots are vital to get an idea what that might be.

Here's the shot of the folders panel showing the 2 "Mac HDs" and the finder panel showing it still listed as 2018.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2.JPG
    Screen Shot 2.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 8.06.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 8.06.39 AM.png
    596 KB · Views: 261
Finder also shows three volumes named Macintosh HD. Have you checked each of those?
Lightroom does not have the ability to change volume names.

It's already named 2018 in Finder. It only shows up with Macintosh HD in LR.

Is there a way to change folder names inside LR? LR is seeing "2018" as having the parent folder of Macintosh HD. Nowhere is it I(the external HD) labeled that. And for clarification, all those assignment folders inside 2018 were never in the Macintosh.

I may need a trip to the Orchard (Apple Store :confused:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back