• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Some presets transferred from old computer not showing in Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

whit0214

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 5.7.1
Operating System
I recently upgraded from a PC laptop to an iMac. I transferred my Lightroom (5.7.1) presets to the new folder location and restarted my Lightroom (and computer). Some of the newly transferred presets are now showing in Lightroom, but some are not. They are in the same folder with the same xx.lrtemplate names. I can't figure out why some are showing from this transfer and some aren't. I have tried to move the ones not showing into the main Develop Presets folder from the subfolder and that's not working either. Some of the presets were created by me on my other computer and some were downloaded.

Hi whit0214, welcome to the forum! Are you still using LR 5.7.1 on the new computer, as well as the old one? Where exactly did you put them?

Yes the same version of LR is being used on both computers. I put the presets in the Lightroom Settings>Develop Presets folder and restarted Lightroom. Attached is a screenshot of some appearing and some not appearing from the same transfer (Ive not created or downloaded any presets to Lightroom since using Lightroom on my iMac, so all were created and first downloaded on my PC). The examples are all expanded folders and shows some appearing and some not.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 10.01.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 10.01.14 AM.png
    982.4 KB · Views: 398
That is a proper mystery! Have you checked the file permissions for those presets and their folders (in right-click > Get Info)?

That is a proper mystery! Have you checked the file permissions for those presets and their folders (in right-click > Get Info)?

Yes, my user has permission to read and write for the folders and the individual presets themselves. Ive even tried to move the presets from the folder and they still don't show up.

Ok, what happens if you try to import them through the presets panel, instead of just placing them in the folder? We're down to long shots here! ;)

When I try to import via Lightroom, I get an error that says "Error importing "[insert name of preset xx.lrtemplate]". The preset file was the wrong type of preset.

But I tried to import a preset that was already imported with the same type of file name and it imported properly. The one in my example that did not work is named Black & White Portraits - On the Beach.lrtemplate (though I also tried simpler names such as Antiqued.lrtemplate and it does not work.

One I tried that did work is named Winter Haze.lrtemplate

They have the same .lrtemplate file names so Im not sure why it's not working? Also Attached is a screenshot of the info of one of the presets Im trying to import.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 2.38.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 2.38.10 PM.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 2.55.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 2.55.14 PM.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 324
Hi whit0214, sorry I've been offline the last couple of weeks. If you'd like to email me one of the presets to [email protected], I'll see if I can figure out what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back