10 reasons you’ll want to read this book:
- It’s written in a conversational style that’s easy to read.
- It gives you instant answers to frequently asked questions, without wasting hours googling.
- It saves you time and money by sharing tips and tricks that will make you more efficient.
- It helps you understand what’s happening behind the scenes.
- It shows you how to avoid problems – and their resulting stress – before they happen.
- It teaches you how to solve problems when they do crop up.
- It guarantees you access to additional author support, in case you get stuck.
- It helps you develop a workflow that suits you, rather than squeezing yourself into someone else’s workflow.
- It gives you the confidence to try new things.
- Understanding what you’re doing makes Lightroom FUN!
How’s the book laid out?
It’s a book of questions and answers – questions asked by real Lightroom users on a variety of online forums. You can read it cover-to-cover, or you skip around and use it as a reference book. As a searchable eBook format, you can use the bookmarks or search facility to easily find the answers to your questions.
Who’s the book written for?
Whether you’re a new user who likes to dive straight into new software and figure it out as you go along, a more experienced user wanting to learn how to get the best out of Lightroom, or you’ve just got a burning question you’d like answered, this book is for you.
There are questions ranging from simple ones like how to import photos, to much more in-depth details about how the previews are used and how to create your own camera profiles. Check the Table of Contents to see the full list of questions covered in this release.
These are real-world answers to real questions asked by real Lightroom users. It not only covers how to do things, but also why they work the way they do.
Lightroom may have a mind of its own… but now you can learn how it thinks.
Is it worth reading?
Of course I’ll say yes, but my lovely readers agree. The Lightroom 4 book has almost all 5 star reviews on both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk – feel free to read their comments. Some of my favorites are copied on the Reviews tab. Many of the Articles on this website are taken directly from the book, if you’d like to read some excerpts.
A choice of formats
The Adobe Lightroom – The Missing FAQ books were originally intended to be searchable PDFs, however once they were released to the public, a demand arose for a paperback version too.
While many books have a PDF supplement, this book is the other way round – the color PDF eBook is designed to be the primary book, and the black & white paperback and other digital formats are the supplement.
You can learn more about the different formats on the Book Formats page.
What’s New in the Lightroom 4 book?
Initially I thought the Lightroom 4 book would be a fairly quick update, having rewritten the whole book for Lightroom 3. How wrong I was! This book has had my undivided attention since October, and was underway for many months before that, and somehow I’m still finishing up the loose ends now! So what changes do you have to look forward to?
- Of course, Lightroom 4 has lots of new features, which need to be covered in detail. Huge changes in the Develop module, and the new Map and Book modules are the highlights, but there are many other smaller features too.
- Existing questions have been updated for changes in behavior.
- New questions have been added to existing chapters, mostly as a direct result of your emails and suggestions.
- And there’s another new chapter – Designing your Workflow – thanks to your survey suggestions at the end of last year.